I've gotten a ton of questions recently from people wondering what they can do to make their yawn-inducing sweet potato a little more exciting. So, by popular demand, I give you something I recently tested out . . . Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili!
One of the great things about chili is it's super versatile. This little dish is something you could whip up for lunch, dinner, or a post-workout snack. Also, chili is generally pretty meal-plan-friendly - you have to work hard to make it THAT unhealthy. Let me know what you think if you happen to give this recipe a try! :)
Ingredients (for a 4-serving batch)
1 lb. of lean ground beef
1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 medium sweet potatoes, diced up
1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
1/4 cup of diced sweet onion
1/4 cup of chopped celery
1/4 cup of water
2 jalapeño peppers, diced
1 tbsp. of chili powder
1 tsp. of ground cumin
2 shakes of ground black pepper
3 shakes of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. of garlic powder
1 tsp. of onion powder
1 can of drained and rinsed black beans
1 pat of coconut oil
2 sliced avocados (if you'd like, for presentation)
1. Throw the sweet potatoes, tomato sauce, tomatoes, celery, onion, water, cumin, jalapeños, black / cayenne peppers, and onion / garlic / chili powders into a slow cooker. (If you don't have one, I highly recommend investing in a slow cooker - it makes my life as a wannabe chef that much easier!)
2. Cook on high for five hours, stirring every now and then.
3. Warm up a large pan at medium-high heat and, using the coconut oil, cook the ground beef until it's medium to well done (this should take about 10-15 minutes).
4. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and cook the chicken for 25-30 minutes.
5. Take the chicken out of the oven and slice it into cubes or mini strips.
6. Add the beef, chicken, and beans to the sweet potato mix in the slow cooker.
7. Cook for another 1-2 hours (or until everything is well blended).
8. Serve into a bowl and, for extra healthy fats and flavor, slice up some avocado to lay on top!